Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Signs of Spring

Not much has been happening in life lately, so I really haven't had anything to post about. But SPRING is coming, and that's got me excited. One of the reasons I love living in Seattle is that the signs of Spring start so early.

My blue stars and some protected daffodils have been blooming for weeks. Snowdrops are just showing themselves, and many bulbs have been poking themselves through the soil.

This morning the resident flicker started hammering on our metal chimney like he does every year. For the next month or so we'll be awakened by his jack hammering every morning.

The Bewick's wrens have been inspecting their old nest box. Last year there was a bit of contention between the chickadees and the wrens for the nest box, so this year I added an extra one. It's in a very sheltered spot and kind of hidden, so I've hung some suet there to attract birds to the area.

I ordered a small video camera to put in the original nest box. I'm pretty excited! It's not wireless, though, so I've got to figure out how to get the input all the way into my computer. I might need a wireless transmitter/receiver adapter, if it's not too expensive. The camera was a deal at $60 from Cooper Seeds.

We've had a long cold winter of pretty consistent gray days and temps staying in the upper 30s and lower 40s. Nothing terrible, but I'm looking forward to some warm sunshine.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nothing has actually bloomed over here yet but there are tons of daffodil shoots and crocus'. I can't wait for warmer days. I am so sick of being cold all the time!!! Brrrrrr!!!

DK & The Fluffies said...

We have a serious case of Spring Fever here! The poppies are blooming. Gung Hay Fat Choy from all of us!

Petula Darling said...

I'm looking forward to the nest-cam.
Do you think there's going to be a showdown between the wrens and the chickadees? Maybe you could put it on pay-per-view!